DigiCulTS Podcast: Social Media for Small and Medium-Sized Businesses
Social Media are a key driver for product and service development as well as for the promotion of products and services. Still, some small and medium-sized businesses shy away from using social media. It needs digital competence, time resources, and a social media strategy, to really make the most out of social media for your business. Can only big companies afford this? For the first DigiCulTS podcast episode, I interviewed Sabine Melnicki, an Austrian entrepreneur and shareholder at TangoTunes, the Digital Tango Music Store, to get some insights.
Even though there is a growing number of active users on social media worldwide, not all small and medium-sized businesses are making use of social media to acquire new customers or communicate with existing customers. Still, about 25% of small businesses in the UK shy away from using social media.
To learn more about the chances and obstacles when using social media for small or medium-sized businesses, I asked Sabine how the medium-sized company TangoTunes is currently using social media:
- How did you choose the social media platforms you are active on?
- Which target groups do you try to reach via social media?
- How do you define “success” for your social media activities? Is TangoTunes successful on social media?
- How do you use social media to achieve your business objectives?
- What to consider when creating content for your TangoTunes target group?
- For all small- or medium-sized businesses which aren’t on social media yet: What do they miss out?
For more insights about TangoTune’s activities on social media, check out their Facebook account.
Our conclusion? 4 tips for small and medium-sized enterprises.
There are certainly many benefits, but also obstacles when using social media, especially for small or medium-sized businesses with limited resources. We identified the following 4 tips for a successful social media presence:
- Be consistent with your social media activities.
- Connect your social media activities with business goals,
- Measure your success.
- Be real!
What do you think? What are your tips for success on social media for small and medium-sized entrepreneurs and their employees? Leave a comment below or add your experiences at our DigiCulTS online discussion board 🙂
The podcast episode is brought to you by the #DigiCulTS project, co-funded by the European Union. The European Commission’s support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents, which reflect the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.